Aims and functions
- To provide an informal and convivial forum for all those interested in maps, atlases, topographical views, etc. be they collectors, academics, antiquarians, students, etc.
- To organise lectures on various aspects of historical cartography, on archiving and conservation.
- To organise visits to exhibitions, private collections and map rooms of libraries or institutions.
In order to achieve these aims, the Circle organises the following regular events:
- A Map Evening in March or April, bringing together all those interested in maps — members as well as non-members — for an informal chat about an item from their collection. An ideal opportunity to get to know the Circle!
- An Excursion to a map collection or exhibition.
- An International Conference on a specific and major topic in December.
The Circle also publishes three illustrated Newsletters per year, offering:
- articles and contributions by members and specialists
- reports on past activities of the Circle and its future programme
- reviews of specialised books and exhibitions
- an agenda of national and international events
- presentations of websites
- auction announcements
What do our members get for their money?
- free admission to most of the Brussels Map Circle events
- three issues per year of Maps in History, the Brussels Map Circle newsletter
- free Brussels Map Circle conference hand-outs