IMPORTANT - The date of the conference is 12 December 2015 and not 5 December 2015 as announced in Maps in History - Newsletter No 51 of January 2015.
Our Conference will take place in the framework of the Europalia festival devoted to Turkey (www.europalia.eu). In the next issue of 'Maps in History', we will give you an introduction to the cartography of the Ottoman Empire, so important in Europe's history.
- 9:45 Welcome by the president
- 10.00 - 10.40 - General introduction: The history of Ottoman Cartography by Prof. Dr. Mehmet Kalpakli, Bilkent University, Ankara
- 10.40 - 11.00 - Coffee break
- 11.00 - 11.40 - Illustrated Ottoman Maps as Records of History by Prof. Dr. Günsel Renda, Koç University, Istanbul
- 11.40 - 12.20 - Piri Reis and Mercator by Dr. Jan Parmentier, scientific advisor MAS | Museum aan de Stroom, Antwerp
- 12.20 - 14.00 - Lunch (aperitif, lunch and dessert) with coffee
- 14.00 - 14.40 - Hispanic and Mediterranean sources of the Kitab-i Bahriye by Prof. Dejanirah Couto, École pratique des hautes études (EPHE), France
- 14.40 - 15.20 - Humanist culture and diplomatic issues : French Ambassador Choiseul-Gouffier at the Ottoman Court, and the French cartography of the Straits and the Black Sea by Dr. Emmanuelle Vagnon, Centre national de la recherche scientifique, France
- 15.20 – 15.30 - Short break
- 15.30 - 16:10 - Beyond Kiepert: German mapmakers in the Ottoman Empire (1835 - 1895) by Dr. Ségolène Debarre, Centre d’Études Turques, Ottomanes, Balkaniques et Centrasiatiques (CETOBaC), France
Lunch (optional) is being arranged in the Library’s cafeteria, with catering services. Price: EUR 35.00.
Please register as from 1 September 2015.