[cancelled] Visit to the Gotha Perthes Collection–
The trip is scheduled for the Brussels Map Circle Members from Friday 14 October to Saturday 15 October.
Dr Petra Weigel, head of the Perthes collection department, research library, University of Erfurt, offers us a guided tour at 10.00 on Saturday 15 October 2022.
We will see maps of Ukraine and the Netherlands of the Perthes collection, the most important remnant of the German-language cartographic publishing tradition.
We will then be able to visit the monumental castle of Friedenstein, well preserved, with richly decorated rooms, one of the first baroque castles in Germany.
This year there is a superb exhibition called Luxury, art and fantasy in homage to Duke August of Saxony-Gotha- Altenburg, an impressive collector, mentioned by Goethe and Napoleon, who died in 1822.
Day ticket to visit the castle, the exhibition and the museum: EUR 10.00.
Access to Gotha:
- by train: 6 to 7 hours from Brussels.
- by car: approx. 5.30 hours from Brussels. Carsharing would be appreciated.
Accommodations in Gotha: from EUR 70.00 (Pension Am Ostbahnhof) up to EUR 155.00 (Hotel am Schlosspark).
The trip will take place if there are at least 10 participants.
A dinner is planned on Friday evening in Gotha.
If you wish to participate please fill the Registration Form before Thursday 15 September 2022.
We will acknowledge receipt of your registration shortly.
- about the Perthes collection: https://www.uni-erfurt.de/en/forschungscampus-gotha/campus-gotha/akteure/wissen-global
- about the Friedenstein castle: https://www.stiftungfriedenstein.de/
- on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gotha